Alcoa provides adoption assistance at no cost to you. Coverage is available on the first day you are actively at work. The benefit provides up to $2,000 reimbursement per adoption for legitimate adoption-related expenses. These include:
- adoption agency fees
- placement fees
- lawyer fees and other required legal fees
- temporary foster care charges for the period of time before the child is placed in your home
- maternity expenses of the child's biological mother. These benefits are part of the $2,000 maximum. If the biological mother has other medical insurance coverage, the adoption assistance benefit will cover those expenses that exceed any benefits payable from the other medical coverage.
Benefits are payable when the child becomes a member of your household. However, if you are adopting a stepchild, benefits may be paid when you file the adoption petition with the courts.
You must complete an Adoption Assistance Claim Form and submit it with your itemized bills to the claims administrator. Claims for adoption expenses must be filed within 180 days of the date charges were incurred or the date the adoption becomes final.
Approved adoption assistance payments are paid to you as an additional amount in your regular pay.
Adoption assistance coverage ends on the earliest of:
- your last date of active work, unless you are eligible for a continuance period
- the end of any continuance period for which you qualify
- the date your employment ends or you die
- the day before your date of retirement
- the date the program ends
In certain situations, adoption assistance coverage may continue while you are not at work. See your Work & Personal Life booklet for additional information.
For more information, call 1-888-ALCOA123.